Funny

Teen Left Blinded After Microwaved Egg Explodes in Her Face

According to Mirror:

A teenager was left temporarily blind after a microwaved egg exploded in her face.

Courtney Wood, 19, has been without sight in her left eye following the traumatic incident, the Stoke Sentinel reports.

She was making breakfast on Boxing Day when she decided to cook an egg in a microwave, something she had done a number of times before.

The egg exploded in her face without warning after she took it out of the microwave oven, leaving her with burns and painful blisters.

Image: Stoke Sentinel/BPM Media

The care assistant from Newcastle has now issued a warning to others about the dangers.

She said: “On Boxing Day morning I was cooking myself some breakfast. I had put some bacon under the grill and then I put an egg in a jug with a bit of water – as I have done before – and popped it in the microwave for a minute.

“The microwave didn’t ping so I took the egg back out, popped it on the side and checked on the bacon.

“When I turned back towards the jug the egg exploded in my face.”

Courtney immediately began screaming and attempted to splash cold water on her face.

She then called a friend due to the excruciating pain she was experiencing.

“By this point I couldn’t see and I was screaming in pain,” she continued. “My friend came round straightaway and he called 111 who told me to go straight to A&E.”

Medics at the Royal Stoke University Hospital treated her with morphine and gauze.

Image: Stoke Sentinel/BPM Media

Doctors reassured Courtney that the burns were not serious and said that she had scratched both corneas – but stressed that her eyesight damage was not permanent.

Courtney then stayed with her mum Tracy for a couple of days after the accident.

The sight in my right eye came back within 48 hours but I still can’t see properly out of my left,” said Courtney.

“I have eye drops and steroids and I have to go back to the eye clinic every day until my eyes have healed.

Image: Stoke Sentinel/BPM Media

“Doctors have told me the sight in my left eye may not be restored for a week or maybe even longer,” she added.

“This was the worst pain I have ever suffered – it was horrific – and I would hate anyone else to have to go through what I have been through.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *